June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month. Take the opportunity to show your support for Alzheimer’s disease this summer on the Longest Day, where thousands will come together to raise awareness for the disease.
Learn more about how you can participate on June 20, 2016.
About the Longest Day
In an effort to bring more recognition to the disease, The Alzheimer’s Association chose the summer solstice — the longest day of the year — to be the day of a sunrise-to-sunset relay event to support those facing Alzheimer’s.
On their website, the Alzheimer’s Association says the purpose of the Longest Day is to:
“Come together to honor the strength, passion and endurance of those facing Alzheimer’s with a day of activity.”
How to Raise Awareness for Alzheimer’s
Although a 16-hour day of raising awareness for Alzheimer’s may sound intimidating, there are many easy ways to take part in the event.
The Alzheimer’s Association recommends five steps to get started:
- Grab your friends and form a team.
- Do what you love to raise awareness — like cooking, gardening or walking.
- Raise money doing what you love to support Alzheimer’s.
- Plan your day with your team, whether it’s raising awareness together or digitally, if in different locations.
- Celebrate at sunset with your team, and recognize the accomplishments you made towards bringing awareness to Alzheimer’s.
Even if you can’t participate in the Longest Day, it is important to remember that there are others ways to raise awareness for those facing Alzheimer’s and stay involved.
This could include:
- Getting educated about Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Talking about Alzheimer’s.
- Wearing purple, the official color of the disease.
- Signing the “Stop Alzheimer’s” petition.
- Volunteering or donating to your favorite Alzheimer’s awareness organization.
How are you raising awareness for Alzheimer’s on the Longest Day? Share your thoughts about the day and your suggestions on raising awareness with us in the comments below.
- How You Can Make a Difference During Alzheimer’s Awareness Month
- 7 Things You Can Do to Stop Alzheimer’s by 2025
- Raise Alzheimer’s Awareness On the Longest Day to Win