It’s no secret that diet plays an important role in brain health. If it seems time-consuming to prepare healthy foods for the senior you are caring for, there is a fast and easy way to serve them nutrient-rich foods.
Not only will consuming fruits and vegetables provide seniors with nutrition, these are also foods that could help prevent Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia. Juicing is an easy and delicious way to serve up a senior with a nutritious and brain-boosting meal.
Juicing for Alzheimer’s
A 2006 study from Vanderbilt University found that drinking fruit and vegetable juices more than three times a week can cut the risk of developing Alzheimer’s by 76%. Many fruit and vegetable juices contain polyphenols, which is a chemical found in foods with antioxidants. These superfoods have the power to interrupt the process in the brain that leads to Alzheimer’s and offers some protection against the neurodegenerative disease.
Juicing is a fairly easy process and starts with a simple trip to the grocery store. Here are some brain-boosting super foods that are juiceable:
Juicing Recipes for Brain Health
The following juice recipes are packed with brain-boosting foods that neutralize free-radical damage and can help prevent Alzheimer’s:
- 3 medium sized carrots (unpeeled), cut into pieces
- 1 medium sized apple (unpeeled), cored and cut into pieces
- 6 to 8 spinach (palak) leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium sized beetroot (unpeeled), cut into pieces
- Crushed ice to serve
- Blend all ingredients using water until smooth.
- Strain the juice using a strainer or a cheesecloth.
- Add some crushed ice in 2 glasses and pour the juice over it.
- Serve immediately.
Learn more about The Brain Booster.
- 3 ribs celery
- 1/2 small beet
- 1 cup blueberries
- Put all ingredients in juicer and blend until smooth.
- Strain juice and serve chilled.
Learn more about The Mood Booster.
- ¾ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- ¾ frozen banana
- 4 or 5 ice cubes
- 1 tsp stevia or coconut sugar, or other sweetener of your choice
- 1½ glasses cold water
- Put all ingredients in blender and blend on high.
- Serve chilled.
Learn more about Super Raw Brain Juice.
Do you have any favorite brain healthy juice recipes? Share your recipes with us in the comments below.